Monday, June 20, 2011

How life has changed since I had my Kitty Kat Cup: 1977 vs. Today


Kitty Kat Cup


People that know me well, KNOW this is my Kitty Kat Cup.  I have been drinking out of it since I was a toddler.  I’m pretty sure it had a sippy cup lid at one point.  I love it and it’s still the right size for me, plus it has a cool coffee mug handle that is not pictured. (I thought it more important to feature Kitty’s face.)  They don’t make cups like this anymore.

This cup has truly stood the test of time.  How have things changed while Kitty Kat Cup and I have been together?  What was life in the U.S. like then?  I thought it would be interesting to research this:

1977
2011
President
Jimmy Carter
Barack Obama
Population
220,239,425
over 310 million
Life Expectancy
73.3 Years
77 years
Federal Spending
$409.22 billion
$2,080 billion
Federal Debt
$706.4 billion
$1,294 billion
Unemployment
7.7%
9%
Cost of a new home
$54,200.00
$177,000
Cost of a new car
$6,000
$16,800
Median Household Income
$13,572.00
$64,200.00
Cost of a postage stamp
$0.13
$0.44
Cost of a gallon of gas
$0.62
$3.80
Cost of a dozen eggs
$0.82
$1.19
Cost of a gallon of milk
$1.68
$2.99
Popular Boys Names
Michael
Jason
Christopher
Mason
Liam
Jacob
Popular Girls Names
Jennifer
Melissa
Amy
Emma
Sophia
Olivia
Popular TV Shows
LaVerne & Shirley
Happy Days
Three’s Company
American Idol
Glee
Big Bang Theory
Popular Songs
Popular Movies
Star Wars
Rocky
Smokey & the Bandit
The Hangover 2
Pirates of the Caribbean 4
Fast Five
Popular Books
The Thorn Birds – Colleen McCullough
Roots – Alex Haley
The Help – Kathryn Stockett
Water for Elephants – Sara Gruen
Women’s Hair Styles
Feathered (think Charlie’s Angels), dying was cutting edge, page boy, afros
Shorter hairstyles, extensions, hair pieces, lots of color, natural hair (afros)
Men’s Hair Styles
Long hair tucked behind ears, bangs on forehead, afros
Piecy, “Front Waves,” square, natural hair (afros)

I found it interesting as the list goes on to see how infiltrated by constant information and options we have become in just the past few years!  Constant media, constant news, constant information.  Choosing just 3 songs and 3 television shows was difficult.  But, I tried to stick to radio and network television as would have been the medium in the 70’s. We have SO many options for streaming audio/video on the internet, downloading capabilities of television shows, music and movies, rather than tuning into a particular station at a particular time or having to go to a theatre to see a movie even!  We still like the fantastical and “real life” comedies in movies.  We just get to download them and have many more opportunities to see them.

It’s interesting to note that in literature we are still fascinated by time pieces.  As evidenced by The Help (set in the 1950’s) and Water for Elephants (set during the Great Depression).  Relatedly, we have a turn to sophisticated names like Emma, Sophia & Olivia, rather than Melissa, Jennifer & Amy.  Our mothers saw us growing up being care-free, trendy individualists.  I envisioned a strong, independent free thinker, firm in her roots & convictions woman when I chose Olive for my own daughter.

With all of the scientific advancements we’ve had, I’m surprised to learn that life expectancy is only four more years.  We do lag behind there in the U.S.  We work the longest hours, the most stressful jobs, we have little vacation or family time that is paid time off, we take the most medications, have the least preventative care and we work the latest into life.  

I believe that the 70’s were when our foods began to change.  We have so many food options, laden with things that we can't pronounce and contribute to poor health!  I remember going to the store with my mother and we had two options for milk, maybe one or two for eggs.  Now there are so many options at the store and I opt out of commercially produced milk, eggs, and meat.  So, I buy mine directly from a farm. And make what I can myself so I know that my food is safe.

Prior to being downsized from my corporate job, I made well the median household income, which is incredibly comfortable living in the Midwest.  At one point, I was making 20% of that and forced back to a rural area so I could afford to live.  I’m living much more comfortably now, but I don’t dare move again.  The job market is much more volatile than 1977 where you graduated high school, started the job you would most likely work for the rest of your life and if you were lucky, you went to college.  A stark contrast to 2011, where new college graduates cannot often find work to cover their student loan debt and are competing with those in the market who’ve been displaced by outsourcing, layoffs and bankrupt companies.

I sort of long for the simplicity of the days of my Kitty Kat Cup, plus who could resist that fashion, the music and their movies?  But, I know the times seemed complex then, just as they do now.  

What surprises you about the comparison chart?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: