Monday, June 27, 2011

Mamavation Monday

How have you recently stepped up to support someone in your life?

This is the question that I am supposed to blog about and answer today for this week’s Mamavation Monday post.  But, I find I have an ongoing dilemma with this topic.  Remember those Little Miss Sunshine books?

Little Miss Sunshine

I loved them by the way.  Devoured them in fact.

But, I’m likening myself to her crabby friend that no one wants to talk about.

Little Miss Stepper Upper. 

Is there a project that needs to be done?  Who else will do it?  Who else will do it well?  If I don’t help, who will?

Oh, for pity’s sake.  I have trouble balancing philanthropy, parenthood, a career and everything else in between.

My name is Sandra.  Which comes from the Greek name Alexandra.  Which means, “Helper and defender of all mankind.”

Apparently, I take this to heart.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t rescue every lost little puppy or kitty.  But, if it has to do with being civically involved with a project I am on board with, I am in and I know I am relied upon to do so. 

I am now beginning to learn the art of saying no, less I will be an ineffective parent, friend, daughter, neighbor, individual.  My life is in transition and I rarely know what’s best in terms of nurturing myself.  But, I am finding that people do understand and other people know how to do this “saying no” thing!

So, this week, I am learning how to step up to me. 

3 comments:

Shelley said...

saying no is a hard one for me too... I tend to over-commit and yet, have a harder time saying yes to myself. Proud of you for recognizing the need to just say no sometimes :)

Resa said...

It's SO much harder to help yourself than it is to help others sometimes, isn't it? Congratulations on taking care of yourself, and stick to it! :)

Unknown said...

Ah the word no, is so small yet so hard to say. Sometimes, one no leads to two;) Best of luck!