Saturday, August 25, 2012

Nut Job: Using Chia Seed and How It Finally Spoke to Me

Recipe & Photo Credit Yummy Mummy Kitchen
I had previously written about Hemp Seeds and their amazing super food properties!  I was blown away when I discovered that little tidbit of knowledge.

But, Chia Seeds?  I've had a bag of these in my fridge for nearly a year.


From the list of some of the health benefits these seeds hail, I should be equally excited about them! Double the antioxidants as blueberries? 100% more EFA than Salmon?!  "Aztec Running Food?" Holy Cow!  

I've used them, put them in smoothies, put them over salads...meh.

It wasn't until I saw this recipe photo for Cinnamon-Vanilla Chia Pudding from An Edible Mosaic, did it speak to me!

Cinnamon-Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding!  Recipe & Photo Credit: An Edible Mosaic
It's genius and what I was struggling with in using Chia.  Mixed with any liquid, it takes on a gel-like consistency.  Used in larger amounts and let to soak overnight, it becomes a pudding, almost like tapioca. 

This also helped fill a gap with having something healthy and easy for breakfast as I tend to skip breakfast altogether if I don't. In fact, I have one ready to go right now!

If you have some other great uses for Chia, please share them in a comment below.

No comments: