Thursday, September 27, 2012

Whole Grain Organic Hulled Millet - Do you know how COOL it is?!

So, I have a confession to make: I didn't know how cool Millet was until today.

I didn't even know what it looked like!  See below if you don't either.



I have had a bag of Organic Hulled Millet in my panty going on about 6-9 months or so.  I'm not a person to just throw money around and buy things I don't need, especially organic whole grains! But, I really did have every intention of learning how to prepare this gluten free grain.  


I just didn't run into a whole lot of recipes for it, I tried reaching out, so then I gave up on it for a little while.

But, that was pre-Pinterest!  And it was before I found THIS recipe for Millet Granola.

Photo Credit: TasteSpace.Wordpress.com

I just made it tonight using what I had from the ingredient list, which was pretty close except for 1.5 cups of Almonds.  I just happened to have enough of 3 different kinds of nuts to make up the difference!

Organic Raw Almonds, Walnuts and Cashews
Now that I've used Millet, I can see how versatile a grain it is for adding protein (11g per 1 cup!), and variety to dishes, salads and even desserts or breakfast recipes like the one I prepared.

I can't wait to eat this for breakfast tomorrow morning!  Literally, I'm eating it now.


No comments: