Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Flax Seed - high in Omega 3's and Anti-Inflammatory Properties

Tropical Traditions Organic Whole Golden Flax Seed

In my 20's, my dad began frequenting a particular health store near me whenever my parents came to visit.  I took notice of that since back here there is nothing resembling them.  I thought it odd at the time and wondered why he did that.  I later found out he was going for a bag of Flax Seed they carried as it can act as an anti-inflammatory.  He liked to grind it and sprinkle it on top of his morning cereal to help with arthritis pain and joint stiffness.

So, flash forward to now, I'm still using flax seed for it's anti-inflammatory properties.  Inflammation is a major pre-cursor to illness and disease.
 

Flax Seed is also high in Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids, which are an excellent source of dietary fat for your brain. It's an essential fat that our bodies need, but cannot produce on its own, so it's important to have good sources of these in your diet.

What I like about the Whole Golden Flax Seed that I get from Tropical Traditions (my favorite source for Virgin Coconut Oil), is that golden flax 's total fat content is 48% Omega 3 EFA's.

So, besides sprinkling over cereal and your morning oatmeal, how else can you use flax?

I've used it in my frothy, delicious and filling Get Your Greens Smoothie.


I usually toast them, grind them up and then add them to drinks like this.  I have also used them in this delicious recipe for No Bake Vegan Flaxseed Cookies that I found over on Averie Cooks.

Photo Credit: Averie Sunshine
Overall, I enjoy the nutty flavor, the anti-inflammatory properties and the source of Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acid's this delicious seed provides.  You could sprinkle it as a topping over noodle or stir-fry dishes quite easily without really affecting the flavor of the dish.

Disclaimer: The opinions provided here are my own.  I was not provided a sample, but purchased this Flax Seed from Tropical Traditions. If you order by clicking on any of my links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you

No comments: