Thursday, July 5, 2012

5+ Ways to Help Make Drinking Your Water More Exciting!

Usually my water consumption is a no-brainer on 100+ degree, Nebraska summer days.  But, this year, I find that I am struggling with my water intake.  I do drink 6 glasses/day of straight water, but add that to my 3-4 very large cups of coffee each morning and I think it all cancels out.

Why water?

  • It helps to curb your appetite.  Do you get cravings?  Maybe you aren't hungry, but thirsty or dehydrated.
  • It also purifies and detoxes your organs, the largest of them being your skin.

I'd like to receive the optimal amount of both of these benefits.  The closer to nature the better, no artificial colors or flavors, and capitalizing on what this season has the best of. 

I've compiled some great recipes I have found on making your own vitamin water, flavored water and herbal teas.

Enjoy!


Add fruits instead of sugar for a natural sweetener for your H20. Cut the fruit into paper-thin slices or small chunks. Combine ingredients with water. Refrigerate 4-6 hours and serve over ice.


Flavored Fruit Waters
Photo Credit: NancysCreative

Ideas for more than a dozen recipes using fruits and herbs to flavor your water over on NancyCreative!

Iced Chamomile Lavender Tea
 Photo Credit: The Nourishing Gourmet

I was thrilled to find this post for an Iced Chamomile Lavender Tea over on The Nourishing Gourmet after a recent visit to a local herb farm.  I had brought home some Lemon Verbena and set to making that tea when it occurred to me this could be done with any herb! (An "A-ha Moment") The possibilities are endless.

Sassy Water
 Photo Credit: sitno seckano
This recipe caught my eye on Pinterest, because I myself am very sassy.  This is an interesting combination of water, cucumber, ginger and spearmint.  Don't panic when you visit this site, if you scroll down, the recipe is in English.

Iced Tangerine Mint Green Tea
 Photo Credit: New Nostalgia
This one is just another lovely combination of fruit and herbs.  It's a variation that New Nostalgia saw featured as a detox tea. You could probably use any type of mint and any type of citrus.

Get Creative While You Hydrate
  Photo Credit: Finer Minds

Club soda, is definitely my new "mixer" for water and otherwise.  Ideas for infusing your water, tea and using seltzer and club sodas instead of drinking sugary sweet drinks and soda from Finer Minds.

No comments: