Thursday, March 22, 2012

Coconut Fried Walleye


I nearly forgot about posting this. Luckily, I took a photo and stumbled upon it today!  Conveniently, it's a great dish to try during Lent.

This recipe is pretty easy and could be made with any type of fish, I happened to have some walleye in the freezer.  Serve it with vegetables and another side of your choice, we used some garden green beans and a rice medley.

Versatile & clean, a nice alternative to batter dipped foods.

It reminds me of what we often ate when we stayed with family friends during planting & harvest time.  Ladi, who was from the Philippines, made the most simple food delicious!  (Of course, she also made a mean sugar cookie decorated with heaps of frosting at Christmas time, but that is a post for another day.) 

Coconut Fried Walleye

You will need:

Fish of your choice, boned & cut into portions
Shredded coconut
Eggs, whisked
Virgin coconut oil, for frying 


Heat a pan or large wok enough to melt your coconut oil and heat it for frying.  I like medium-low for a nice even frying.

Dip your fish portions into the egg and roll into the shredded coconut.  Add the portions to the heated oil and fry until brown.

That's it.

The real key here is to NOT go pick up a bag of shredded coconut from a commercial grocery store.  Those coconuts (which I grew up on believing that I hated coconut) are not ground as finely and have added sweeteners.  This will overpower the dish.  Click on the link above and you'll be able to see the cut of this shredded coconut I used from Tropical Traditions. Since it is not sweetened, it will have a nice crunchy texture, with a flavor that lends to fish, rather than that ewwy-gooey fake coconutty taste. 

Also shared on Fresh Bites Friday and Allergy-Free Lunchbox

*Note: If you click on any of my links and make a purchase, you'll receive a free copy of Virgin Coconut Oil - the book which includes over 85 recipes, 100 personal stories & research, and I'll receive an award for referring you!


If you interested in learning more about other ways you can use Coconut Oil:

There are literally hundreds of ways!

Where Can I Buy Coconut Oil?

No comments: