Sunday, March 6, 2011

How I Learned to Let Go & Love the Bomb (or Telling My Fat Girl Story)

Mamavation

So, I just did it.  I admitted that I'm overweight by making a video of myself for the Mamavation Challenge #8, telling the world my fat story and what I've failed at doing about it, what I've done about it so far and how I (yes, ME) will inspire other moms. 

My weight has plagued me my entire life.  Since I was 6 years old to be quite honest.  At least, that is when I started seeing the pictures of the fat little girl in my baby book and the family photo albums.  I'm not sure what happened, I really don't remember, but there she was.  Through high school, it seemed like all of my friends were pretty blond Barbies that all the boys loved and I was the fat friend who "had a pretty face."  I was the band geek, turned depressed goth girl, turned party girl eating Taco Bell at 2 AM, turned pregnant and breastfeeding mom on full-feed, turned corporate busy mom working late and making terrible food choices.  I didn't exercise at all, not with any regularity.  No matter the lifestyle I led, I always had the excuses.

About 2 years ago, I almost gave up and thought I should just accept myself for who I was.  I knew there was some sort of key in that.  But, the motivator was just plain giving up.  I even started smoking again after having quit for 6 years.  That was a turning point for me.  I thought, "I am NOT going to be this obese smoker!"  So, I started walking, I mean everywhere.  I live in a small town and people were trying to give me rides constantly, until they figured out I was walking for a reason.  This really made it public for me, I didn't want my ass (pardon the language) to be bigger the next time they saw me walking again, I wanted it to be smaller.

It worked.  I lost nearly 40 lbs in the course of a year, but gained 15 lbs after losing momentum and stopped exercising during blizzard season and the holidays this last few months.  Now I know, I need to take it to the next level and I actually want to.  I need to complete this journey and know that if I do it, nothing will ever hold me back again.  I want to put myself on display knowing it will be the way for me to seal success.  I want the next video I make to be a snip of the one below and then this physically fit healthy knock-out version of me just busts through the wall, like Biggest Loser, but with the momentum of the Kool-Aid man. (Just picture it, you know it will be awesome.)


Here is my video below and if you are interested in learning more about Mamavation, please click the button above or visit the site: http://www.mamavation.com/


OH, and one last thing!  Please support me in one of two ways:

I would love to see your comments below as I continue on this journey!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra! This is a tough challenge and I'm willing to be a support system for you! Tweet me or DM me, @howtoeatanapple. I wish you all the best!! :)

Andrea Kruse said...

Congrats on taking the step to make your video! Glad to have you applying and can't wait to get to know you better. I am happy to support you, and wish you the best.

SalemMomma said...

You're so beautiful! You have my support, and I'll be rooting for ya the whole way!
Stacie

Joleen said...

Make your inner better so your outer shows!!!...paraphrasing Viola and imitating Suess