Thursday, April 12, 2012

7 Top Reasons to Love Windshield Time



Oh, how I miss windshield time.  Even though I will insist that I do not miss traveling for work and glad to never see certain stretches of road again, I DO miss it.  I loved traveling all over Nebraska, talking with people, seeing what was going on their communities, and then taking that back with me when I went home.

I got a little taste of it last week after making a 4 hour trip west for a Connecting Young Nebraskans workshop.

Here are my top reasons for loving windshield time:


1.) Solitude - I love the quiet peacefulness of driving alone for about the first hour or so.

2.) Listening to NPR and Public Radio as much as I want! As a busy, single mom, it's hard to get those times in where I can fully listen to political pieces, hot topics, This American Life and other favorites.  It's nice to think some other thoughts than what to make for dinner, how much work I can jam in before bedtime, which child needs some face time, what project I am working on, etc.

3.) This ties back to #2, but I get a lot of great writing ideas and formulation of actual thought.



4.) I can jam out to my favorite CD's as loud as I want and sing as loud as I want. I can do most of this anyway, but I don't have to scan for content!
 
5.) Reprieve from the day to day work grind, remembering when this was my work grind.

6.) Audio books and getting caught up on the concept of reading for pleasure.


7.) Beautiful Nebraska scenery - I have seen some of the most beautiful places in Nebraska on my adventures.  It truly makes me appreciate living here and I encourage everyone to get off the interstate and explore sometime.


No comments: